Monday, January 5, 2009

The World Ends in 2012

"Mister," Edwin asks, "Is the world going to end in 2012?"

I scowl. Edwin is always incessantly asking silly questions: who would win, a shark or a tiger, can a man get pregnant, and now will the world end in 2012. He's referring to an ancient Mayan prophecy, which stated the world would suffer a horrible catastrophe and end in 2012.

After Y2K and the Day of 666 (June 6th, 2006) I'm a little disappointed with the naysayers. "No Edwin," I sigh, "It isn't going to end."

Jesus and Marcos peek up from their work. Discussing the end of the world is a lot more interesting then solving polynomials. "C'mon Mister," Edwin needles, "you can tell us truth. The world is going to end, right?"

An evil thought crosses through my mind, takes root, and an instant later my voice lowers to a near whisper. "Alright guys," I mutter, "I didn't want to tell you this, but the world is going to end in 2012."

Jesus and Marcos drop their pencils, eyes wide as Edwin hangs on my every word. "We don't know exactly how it is going to happen, but at some point the world is going to end."

"That's not true!" Marcos shouts.

I shrug. "We didn't want to scare you, but you're all old enough now to hear the truth. The fires outside of the Los Angeles, the anti-christ becoming the leader of the free world, economic recession; it's pretty clear the world is coming to an end."

"Oh thank God!" Edwin sighs in relief.

I blink. "What?"

"I don't have to worry about graduating, or getting a job. Thanks Mister." Edwin quits work for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I hate my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment